Life On Life's Term

面對它 - - Face it


接受它 - - Accept it


処理它 - - Due With it (To the best of your ability)


放下它 - - Let go of it

Gambling Problems: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers

Gambling Problems: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers
Gambling Addiction Vs Problem Gambling

Thursday, May 29, 2008

ADDICTIVE THINKING

Fellow gamblers, have you ever wonder the following questions.......

How does a gambler addict think ?? Are our brain "Faulty" ??

Why we kept going around in cirlces ... repeating our destructive life patterns ?? Why didn't we seems to learn our lessons ??

Everytime when we seek bailout, we seems to be so remorseful and always seems determined to stop gambling, and wanting to change ??

These answers can be found in the "concept of addictive though process" or "addictive thinking" which involved the process of slef-deception and faulty perception so prevalent in problem-gambler's mind.

For gamblers in recovery, it is not about stopping ... rather how can we stay stop. In the holistic view on the "disease model of addiction", the necessity of character change and spiritual journey is necessary for a balanced long term recovery. ((RECOVERY = ABSTINENCE + CHANGE))

Deep within, the roots of guilt, shame, fear, stress and condemnation are the commonalities to all the addicts..... they hold us bondage in "darkness" ... we are afraid of "light"

Gambler's brain are always holding on to the FALSE HOPE / DREAM of fighting back and winning........ if I win, I will pay off my debts and I will stop. I want to be responsible..... I have won big before..... it can happen again...... We are so used to "quick-fix" solutions that has been deep-rooted since we began our gambling journey.... We can justified our fight back with 1001 justifications...... Our brains are formatted with all "faulty perceptions" of gambling thoughts and false "divine luck" ..... this has caused many of us to be in constant denial.

Its so funny at time when we hink about this ... "WE COULD BE WAITING PATIENTLY FOR A FIGHT BACK .... BUT WE CAN'T PERSERVE IN OUR RECOVERY" ..... WE never seems to surrender in our gambling career but in recovery, we gave up often it's too painful

Making changes to those deep-rooted behaviour and faulty thoughts are extremely difficult ... especially for gamblers where there are "plenty of chances to fight back" daily in our gambling markets - both legal and illegal..... "the readiness" of loanshark and bookie to support our gambling career, the "gracious favour" of banks and fianiancial institutes to support us with legal loans, government supports "responsbile betting" ??? How to stop ?? OOO---man

So understanding the art of Self-Deception is important in recovery. Absolute Honesty with oneself is required and we can't do it on our own.... we are so good in decieving ourself, manipulating others. We are also good at Rationalization, projection and denial.....

Have a moment to yourself and write about the addict within...... and you will find out how your "addictive thinking" works.....

1 comment:

kinjio said...

How many times I have deceive myself.
How many times I have relive winning memory and feeling.
All my gambling friends tell me the same thing , when you gamble there is hope , when you stop gambling there is zero hope.
How many attempts I have made to fight back by returning to gambling.
I hope I can save myself.
Everytimes the answer is the same.
I failed and lost more money.
Money that I could have use to pay and lower my debts.

How many times I have promise to stop gambling.
How many years and how much money I have lost.
How many quarrels I have cause.
How many more people I have harm.
How many years have past since I promise to quit.

Like everyone , I know how to stop gambling and I have stop many times but I m one big failure in staying stop.

I really need help....