Life On Life's Term

面對它 - - Face it


接受它 - - Accept it


処理它 - - Due With it (To the best of your ability)


放下它 - - Let go of it

Gambling Problems: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers

Gambling Problems: An Introduction for Behavioral Health Services Providers
Gambling Addiction Vs Problem Gambling

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

~~ STEP ONE ~~



Step 1 : WE ADMITTED WE WERE POWERLESS OVER GAMBLING THAT OUR LIVES HAD BECOME UNMANAGEABLE.



In the first step of the recovery program, members admit their powerlessness over gambling and learn to accept the truth about compulsivegambling - - that it is an incurable progressive illness which only can be arrested through total abstinence from gambling.

Members acknowledge that they were powerless to control their lives when gambling dominated their actions, Through this admission, members gain the inner strength to deal with theor problems and face responsibilities ..... recovery is our responsbility.

In Step One, complusive gamblers are asked to accept the fact that their lives had become unmanageable. Members acknowledge that the gambling illness disrupted their financial stability and many aspects of their lives, including family, work and other personal relationship.
The admission and acceptance that come with Step One are pre-requiste to controlling the destructive behavior caused by complusive gambling.

The first step of the recovery program is just as important to someone who has abstained for a considerable period of time as it is to a newcomer. By regularly reviewing Step One, members are reminded of the past so that they will no repeat it.





Spiritual Principles for Step One
Honesty
Open-Mindedness
Willingness
Humility
Acceptance

1 comment:

kinjio said...

Step 1 -
There are 2 parts to Step one.
The 1st part acknowledges my powerlessness over gambling.

When I give in to the craving to play the slot machine.
Most of the time , I will not be able to control my behaviour ,I will not leave the place until i have lost almost all my money.

I tried to do control gambling many times in the past..

1.control the time I spend in there
2.control the amount of money I
gamble in there
3.stopping and leaving once i have
win some money.

Many times , control gambling work for me only for a short while before reality set in ,I m back to my old habits and go into a full blown relapse.

The 2nd part acknowledges that because of gambling , I have become unable to manage many areas of my life.

Because of gambling , I experience
the problems below : -

1. Financial problems
2. Relationship problems
3. Telling lies
4. Using money to gamble that dun
belong to me :borrowing or
stealing money to fund gambling
5. Losing interest and enthusiam in
work
6. Increased levels of betting :
spending too much time and too
much money on gambling
7. Used gambling as a form of an
relief or escape from stress or
real life issues
8. sleeping problem
9. Post accute withdrawals :
feeling irritability or
restlessness due to repeated
attempts to stop gambling
10.Feeling sad and hopeless /
feeling i m a total failure
in life
11.Depression with suicidal
thoughts